This week has been exciting. I learnt that even though the recipe says it’s been tested till perfect, it can always get better.
On Monday, I made Lemon Meringue Tarts, I learned that the filling takes some patience to make. The first try at the filling, I thought I had gotten it right, but it was a bit lumpy due to scrambling the seems a bit. The second try was worse. The eggs were majorly scrambled due to walking away from the stove, while the stove was on high heat, to discuss the first batch filling. The first batch of lemony kind of scrambled eggs went into the fruit bars. The second batch got eaten. Very lemony eggs.Later, I made tart shells out of S.S.P (Sweet Short Paste) and blind baked them. I learned that tart shells can be baked as is, not blind baked. They weren’t browned, but still usable. I made and baked off another batch tart shells, these shells came out nice and light brown as I hadn’t blind baked them. I also made the meringue. The meringue was kind of dry, could have been because I put the sugar with the egg whites from the beginning. Sugar should be put in after the whites have been whipped a bit.
Tuesday, I made Chocolate Raspberry Muffins. I noted that the batter tasted a bit too chocolaty. Thursday I will reduce the chocolate. Overall the muffins look normal. The 3rd and 4th tries of the lemon filling were successful!! I kept the stove on low and stood there the whole time and stirred continuously. After this, I put the, in the fridge for about an hour, the filling was still kind of soft. So I put them in the freezer for about 10-15 mins. I also piped the tarts and used the torch to give them that nice light brown color you usually see on meringues at the store.
Wednesday, I made Almond Chai Cookies. I learned that using the purple scooper was much faster than hand scooping them. Also packaged my lemon meringue tarts and realized that meringue can get destroyed really easily. Every time tart’s meringue got touched, I had to touch it up with the torch.
On Thursday when the lemon filling was done, I was told by a classmate that if I put the filling through the robo coupe, that I would’ve even need to strain it!! The robo coupe worked wonderfully and the filling was gorgeous! So much better than when it went through the sieve. Whipped up 2 batches of meringue as the first batch couldn’t cover all 36 of the tarts and they didn’t look very nice without the meringue.
The Chocolate Raspberry Muffin batter didn’t taste like how I would expect it to taste on Tuesday, and since there is both cocoa powder and chocolate chips in the batter I decided to lessen the cocoa powder by 10 grams and increase the raspberries by 10g. This was not a good idea. The batter tasted better, and when they came out they looked fine, but after sitting in dry cooler for about an hour, they looked ghostly and weird. The tops were kind of grayish and kind of scary. These muffins look totally different than the batch made on Tuesday. Also the tops and sides also look different from each other. The only time they would be sellable, would be around Halloween. Too bad we’ve passed Halloween by about 5 months. So, this batch of muffins went into the fruit bars. Out of the 3 recipes, the Chocolate Raspberry Muffins are the most expensive ones to make. Well, that’s going to take a toll on my profit.
The Almond Chai Cookies were fast and easy. A bit too little butter and sugar was used (I probably forgot to tare my scale), causing the mixture to be a bit sandy and easily breakable, but that was easily fixed. I added a bit more butter and sugar to account for the shortage, and all was well. They baked nicely in the rack oven and didn’t spread anymore than usual.
Monday really my only days that had waste. Monday being the eggs and Thursday being the whole batch of ghostly looking muffins. They both went into fruit bars, except for the 2nd batch of waste that I ate. In correcting my waste calculation, I had $0.26(hopefully I did the calculation for it correctly) in waste that went couldn’t be saved. The rest went into the fruit bar bucket. After calculating my profit I realized that I hadn’t factored in my waste. After calculating my waste I realized that I had a negative profit of 0.60 cents. This is when I realized that I made an error in calculating the packaging for the Almond Chai Cookies resulting in a much lower selling price per dozen cookies. With that corrected, I now have a profit of $10.98. I don’t think that is too good..
Overall, it was a very enjoyable week. I had fun tweaking recipes to make them what I thought they should be without throwing them off kilter (though sometimes it didn’t work).
Next time I design a menu, I will choose more profitable recipes, and try to keep waste to a minimum.